Leadership through Eyes of a Coach...Alan Booth

Thursday, July 10, 2014

THE PROBLEM MANAGING CONSULTANTS

In the past 10 years, two deficiencies of my peer consultants I have observed:
 
  1. Clarifying the specific outcomes expected ["How will we know when I should leave?"].  The greater this is clear, the shorter the assignment because of a sharp focus on these outcomes and deliverables are of higher quality!
  2. Getting to the primary cause of the challenges the client presents. Intense listening through dialogue needed to get to the primary cause of challenges the client wants the consultant to deliver.
 
Example: When I am asked to improve the efficiency of a sales process, I need to determine is this a process problem, skill deficiencies, motivation or something else?
 
However, a number of both sales management and sales professionals I have dealt with present with needing greater recognition and a stronger sense of self. This creates a different approach to impact sales than the "usual", does it not?
 
So in selecting a consultant, get convinced that the individual or firm first gets to #1 with you.

No comments:

 
http://gpsadvantage.blogspot.com/