Leadership through Eyes of a Coach...Alan Booth

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

HOW WOULD YOU DEAL WITH TOM?


As I walked past my executive client' office, Tom, he stood up abruptly and motioned me into his office.  Seems that Susan, his star staff manager had put pressure on one of her employees who then came in to talk with Tom.

"Alan, would you mind accompanying me to talk with Susan?"

So I did. As soon as Tom laid on table the situation, Susan started a lengthy speech about why she was justified in handling her employee the way she did...but missed the point Tom has made about motivating the employee vs. criticizing them.

Susan got louder and louder, interrupting Tom and holding on to her position for 10 minutes. Tom gave up and decided to approach Susan at a later date.

The good news: an executive faces conflict head on.

The bad news: my last 200 clients all avoid conflict that is disruptive to the organization [except 4].

WHAT WOULD YOU DO IN COACHING TOM AFTER HE WALKED OUT OF SUSAN'S OFFICE?

No comments:

 
http://gpsadvantage.blogspot.com/