Leadership through Eyes of a Coach...Alan Booth

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Loneliness in the Digital World

When I was a young kid I was a card carrying intovert, loving the time alone. But through some strange but loving parenting I became an "extreme extravert" craving conversation, meeting new people and challenging others to think outside the box.

I really need help here in the middle of 2010.

As I wait in the lobby of a client for authorization to enter, I finish reading the Journal and realize he is 20 minutes late - realize that when one of his reports comes down to greet me. "Alan, we don't understand why you are waiting; didn't you get Rick's email that he is held up in a meeting?"

Two weeks ago I interviewed a prospective client who wants help in an exit strategy prior to retirement. "We know your credentials and just need to feel comfortable with you...the fit thing, you know." By the end of the meeting after talking about a deceased family member and the pride in taking over the business, she says she is close to tears. I thought that meant the fit was a perfect match, especially after meeting every one of her staff. "I'll call you on Monday to determine when we should start". It has been over two weeks and five attempts to reconnect.

Loneliness in the lobby and loneliness staring at a phone that won't ring back.

Solution?

I purchased an IPhone 4 for immediate email connecting (if only I could fix that darn antenna problem).

But that does not help my need to have live dialogue. In my business of coaching and management consulting, it is the nuances, tone and body language that communicates louder than words.

Where can I go for help?

1 comment:

michael cardus said...

Great question.
In a world of increasing technology meeting face to face is gaining credibility.
Discussing this with a friend the other day we got into the circularity of on-line. You go on-line to find and create community because you feel lonely, you create community yet you are alone, making you feel more lonely, so you dig deeper into the on-line communication, which exacerbates the loneliness, cont...
Perhaps this also explains the increase in "Team Membership, How to be an effective team member" program requests I am getting.

To conclude I am not sure your question, the answers are generally outside yourself w/ coaches, communities, books, experts (like yourself :))

 
http://gpsadvantage.blogspot.com/