Leadership through Eyes of a Coach...Alan Booth

Thursday, July 5, 2007

Coaching for Profit Growth

I almost became a believer when Jim [potential client’s manager] said he is looking for a coach for one of his managers…”but nothing touchy-feely because we have business to do here.”

As a formally trained scientist, I need proof before believing…either research or my own experience.

The question I wanted to ask [but did not]: Does touchy-feely erode profits, either directly or indirectly? Show me and I might believe. Of course the unspoken message was, “I am not comfortable with talk about feelings…that’s for other people.”

2 comments:

DenLinTech said...

I gathered from your article that "Coaching" within an organization leads to more profit. From your experience how many times a year should employees have coaching sessions?

Alan Booth said...

If you consider coaching as a management skill; i.e. "enabling and challenging others to fully use their capablities," then the frequency of sessions is dependent on a coachee's willingness and the manager's need to improve or change the coachee's performance.

Perhaps your question has roots in "coaching" as a means of correcting unacceptable behavior or performance...rather than a method that causes motivation in others?

 
http://gpsadvantage.blogspot.com/